We Three

We Three
Three good reasons to get out of bed on a cold, rainy night!

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Songs and Stories

Who would have thought, Gentle Readers, that a 3 minute (well, more or less) song would have turned into a 6 page (and counting!) fiction short story? Certainly not me, but that's exactly what's happened. Unfortunately I can't publish it here, Gentle Readers, because I've had unscrupulous internet pirates steal my work and try to pass it off as theirs in the past, and I don't want that to happen again. If you're interested, let me know in the comments and I can email you a copy of what I've got so far.

The song is called Excursion Around the Bay and it appears to be a folk song of Newfoundland, though certain clues contained within the song suggest to me that it, like so many North American traditional elements, may have originally come from Ireland or Scotland, and had its words changed to fit the current audience.

The lyrics of this song have bugged my hindbrain since I first heard them 8 weeks ago and I finally decided that I'd have to do something about it to try to make sense, real sense of them, somehow. The six page fictional murder mystery that I'm writing is the result. The first draft doesn't have much mystery to it because it's written from the husband's POV after the fact, but I am considering, now that I've got the story elements working the way I want them, re-writing the story from a 3rd person POV as its happening. May make the story even longer, but oh well.

This is the kind of stuff I do when I'm bored. LOL, perhaps I should get bored more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment